(Made rebloggable by request). :)
Ooh! I’m always accepting characterization questions. I haven’t written a great deal of material with Daveth, but here are some thoughts about what I think is going on in his head:
1) Daveth is kind of a trickster. He is very cheeky, and often says things that might seem insulting, poking fun at other people, but he genuinely means them to be light-hearted, rather than cruel.
2) He grew up in a small community, and felt constricted by living somewhere where everyone knew everyone else’s business. He loves the anonymity he found when he left home and ended up in Denerim. (And not just because it’s a much better environment for someone in his profession).
3) He flirts as a defense mechanism, as a way of breaking the ice and trying to relieve tension. So, when he flirts he is not necessarily “hitting” on that person (although I’m also guessing that most of the time, if the person was to agree, Daveth would happily go for it). Somewhat connected to this, I also see Daveth as bisexual.
4) Somewhat related to the above, I also see him as someone who has possibly been “burned” before, romantically. So, while he flirts and involves himself with various romantic partners, I suspect he would have a difficult time settling down, mostly because trust is not particularly easy for him.
5) Daveth is an idealist. This might seem to conflict with some things about him - his profession as a thief, for example - but I think it’s true. He has faced obstacles in the past, and probably heartbreak, but I don’t think his past is particularly dark (not like Zevran’s, for example). So, while he does have a realistic view of the world and its troubles, he believes in true love, and that good will triumph over evil, and that some things are worth dying for.
I’ve been running around the whole week with hardly a moment to my tablet, so have some of my old loltastic incredibly terrible kmeme offerings to Alistair! (as per momochanners’ suggestion)
an Alistair sandwich!
the [literal] joining
(the disembodied feet were supposed to be the PC warden)
I was in fact tempted to write an AU little comic of—if Daveth survived instead of the Warden.